On 25 March 2014 01:46, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> sebb:
>
>> Not always, for example
>>
>> OpenOffice.org => ooo
>>
>> The usecase for the resourcename (perhaps resourceAlias) is to access SVN
>
> Repositories are linked from the podling status page, though it is admittedly
> not as convenient to get there in two hops.
>
> Many recent podlings use Git -- often multiple repositories -- so linking to
> SVN is of limited use.
>
> If you really really want this I'm not going to object but I think it should
> be acknowledged that it's often inappropriate.
>
> David Crossley:
>
>> Also for poor Clutch to try to keep up with the inconsistency of project
>> names.
>
> Definitely the resource name is important for that purpose -- I'm simply
> questioning how much benefit we get from dedicating a field to it on the
> podling listing page.
>
> sebb once again:

>> The idea was not to lose all the existing data, most of which I think
>> is only displayed on that page currently.
>
> Everything on that page is also duplicated on the podling status pages.

I think that's not the case.

> If certain values are not in sync, I think we should acknowledge that and fix
> our DRY problems rather than add more duplication.

podlings.xml was introduced because the status pages don't include the
data in a usable fashion for automated processing.
It's also useful to have the basic information in a single file which
can be subject to DTDs etc.
The status files are free-form xml/xhtml

Maybe it would be possible to automate the inclusion of the relevant
bits from podlings.xml into the individual status files.
But that seems like a lot of work for not much reward.

>> The idea was to provide a summary in addition to the individual more
>> detailed sections.
>
> Hmm.  To be honest, I don't think that's justified.  I think it's too many
> resources providing slightly different views of the same information.

The problem is that the current page has useful information but has
become unwieldy.
Rather than just split it 3, I think a summary would be useful.
There's no full alphabetical listing of all podling names currently so
this provides a useful additional resource.