On 25 March 2014 16:39, James Taylor <jamestay...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> This is a call for a vote on Apache Phoenix 3.0.0 incubating RC1. Phoenix
> is a SQL query engine for Apache HBase, a NoSQL data store. It is accessed
> as a JDBC driver and enables querying and managing HBase tables using SQL.
> This
> is the next major release of Phoenix compatible with the 0.94 branch of
> Apache HBase and will be our second release in the incubator. The release
> includes both a source-only release and a convenience binary release.
>
> New features include:
> - Equi-joins through broadcast hash join
> - Shared tables over same physical HBase table
> - Read-only and updatable views
> - Multi-tenancy
> - JDBC ARRAY type
> - Sequence creation and usage
>
> The dev list thread for the passing vote (10 +1s with 3 IPMC votes) can be
> found at:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-phoenix-dev/201403.mbox/%3CCAAF1Jdg4x1Fo6xtX%3DEzWiGrQsxLkgGUJTAm7Dcb-M8NTR9MJgw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> The source tarball, including signatures, digests, etc can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-3.0.0-incubating-rc1/src/

The source bundle includes directories and files not in Git.

There should be no "target" directories in the source bundle, and no
Rat.txt files.

> The binary artifacts can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/phoenix-3.0.0-incubating-rc1/bin/

The binary NOTICE file appears to include unnecessary items.

Please see:

http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#simple (et seq.)

Does the binary bundle actually include the bits from
SQLline/SLF4J/ANTLR/JUnit ?

If not, they must NOT be in the NOTICE file.
If so, then the license files must be included in - or locally linked
from - the LICENSE file
It _may_ be necessary to mention some of them in the NOTICE file -
this depends on the exact license conditions.

> https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/mujtaba.asc
>
> KEYS file available here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/phoenix/KEYS

The canonical location should be shown as

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/phoenix/KEYS

since that is where the download page should link the KEYS file from.

[Not a blocker for the release contents per se, but please fix before
announcing the release]

> The tag to be voted upon:
> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-phoenix.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v3.0.0-incubating-rc1

I could not work out how to download a tarball/zip of this specific
tag used to create the source release.
I tried starting at the git url above.
I then clicked on the object hash, and clicked on snapshot on the
resulting page.

However the resulting download had some differences from the source
bundle, so either the tag or the source bundle has been modified.

Also, are Git tags immutable, or can they be deleted/replaced?
If not immutable, please provide an immutable attribute such as the tag hash.

It's important to be able to tie the source code to the source code
control system (SCCS), since the SCCS contents are what has been
validated by the PPMC.