On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@apache.org> wrote:

>> I plan on leaving May to someone else, though. :)
>
> Yup. The question is -- how can we strongly encourage
> folks to step up? If we don't see anybody volunteering
> I'm all for creative ideas of I dunno... report manager
> duty lottery (along the lines of jury duty lottery)..

In my opinion, the answer is to make better use of our volunteer hours
by replacing shepherd community assessments with autogenerated mailing
list analysis to provide a rough measure of community health.

The shepherd reports have value, but they come at too high a price.  I
think we owe it to our volunteers to ensure that the time they invest
yields the best possible return.

If we cease attempting to recruit both shepherds AND a Report Manager
for duty each month, I suspect that we will have less difficulty
filling slots.

Marvin Humphrey