I'd like to comment on what has been said about Twill.

>> Twill: handles all the AM logic for running new code packaged as a JAR
with
>> an executor method

The goal of Twill is much broader than to support writing new code. Its
goal is to ease the development and deployment of any distributed service
in a cluster. Its impact is most significantly for the development of new
applications but here are some other aspects:

   - Twill can run existing Java applications, even if they were not
   developed against Twill APIs and do not make use of Twill's advanced
   features, After all the existing main() method of Java programs bears a lot
   of resemblance to a runnable. For example, we have successfully run Presto
   on Twill, and the same should be possible for other distributed services
   written in Java (and non-Java language support is on the horizon for Twill
   as well).
   - Twill does provide very useful features that most distributed apps
   need (such as service discovery, lifecycle management, elastic scaling,
   etc.). Even if the first step may be to port an existing applications
   without modification, it is very much possible that these applications -
   over time - make use of Twill features.
   - Twill is not limited to YARN, in fact its APIs are completely
   YARN-independent, and in addition to a YARN-based implementation, there can
   well be others - for example, it is not far--fetched to think of a
   MesosTwillRunner.

In this sense, Twill is more generic than Slider, which is optimized
specifically for a few existing distributed services. At this time, Slider
is probably more optimized for running - say - HBase or Accumulo than
Twill. Yet most likely Twill will eventually have all the required features,
and wouldn't it be better if things like ZK-bindings were done in a widely
used and common way? Twill has the potential to lead us there.

In the meantime, Slider can fill the gap.

Cheers -Andreas.