Andrew, Roman, Nick,

thanks for your insights. I can see that some competition within the
incubator can help with advancement of technology, and who knows, Slider
and Twill may have completely different motivations and focus on distinct
aspects of the same problem. I also agree that Slider can help existing
projects - such as HBase - to run over YARN sooner than Twill would -
Slider's goal is to make exactly that possible, whereas Twill's goal is a
bit more generic: to ease adoption of YARN for any type of application, be
it an existing one or yet to be developed. Building that true common
platform will sure take longer, and in the mean time I can see the value
that Slider will provide.

Now I am not sure what you mean by personality, Nick? Being a platform vs
being a solution for an immediate need? If that really is the distinction,
then they are different enough to justify separate projects.

-Andreas