On 08/18/2014 03:40 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org> wrote:

A lot of wind was taken out of the sails in the fights to get the IPMC votes
necessary to finish a release. We had two votes, but needed to request
several times for help getting that third vote. For those that did help us
out, thank you. However, the whole process wasn't fun or easy. With most
every other PMC, you're going to have enough interested parties to chip in
and help get that release out, without asking for votes for well over a
week.
The release process reforms adopted in December 2013 greatly mitigate
this problem. (All Droids releases pre-date the reforms.)

   http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

I had to read it a couple of times, but that does make it easier. Not exactly clear how a podling gets pre-cleared, but that would make releases much easier for a project like Droids.

These days, I think we should have little sympathy for podlings who
choose to wait passively for IPMC votes rather than seize the
initiative.

Define "seize the initiative". You are right, our releases were made before those changes. The last release involved 4 messages to the general@i.a.o asking for help over the course of a month to get the votes. That one was unfortunate as the only binding vote from the IPMC was me, so we were in need of two binding votes.

That in my opinion killed releases, which helped kill development. That
makes growing a community difficult. I RM'd the two releases, and I really
don't feel like doing a 3rd.
That's unfortunate for Droids.

But whether a community can find a way to push through the release
process is some measure of whether it has enough energy to survive as
a TLP -- especially now that our reforms have empowered sufficiently
motivated podling communities to drive the process.

Marvin Humphrey

Well we pushed through it, twice, when you thought it was harder to do. The problem is that it zapped a lot of the energy doing so. We made legal two legal releases despite the problems. A couple of issues with some of the legalities were caught when doing the first release. Once those issues were fixed (NOTICE file was one of them), we were good. I completely understand the need for how we do things at the ASF. I am in favor of them.