On 14 September 2014 12:57, jan i <j...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14 September 2014 13:39, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14 September 2014 08:41, Srikanth Sundarrajan <srik...@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >     We have reworked the release for Falcon 0.5 post feedback on LICENSE
>> and NOTICE from IPMC. Special thanks to Sebb, Justin Mclean and Chris
>> Douglas for helping us with this.
>> >
>> > A vote was held among the developers for this release candidate and the
>> release has been accepted. Details of the vote and the result can be found
>> at http://s.apache.org/falcon-0.5-rc5-dev-vote and
>> http://s.apache.org/falcon-0.5-rc5-dev-vote-result respectively.
>> >
>> > The source tar ball can be downloaded from
>> http://people.apache.org/~sriksun/0.5-incubating-rc5, along with
>> signature and checksum files.
>> >
>> > SHA1 checksum : 986d50b97710e252c1b6027dda9354b1c4127869
>> > MD5 checksum: 33e6d2e4cea237be470020bb69a350f7
>>
>> > Git tag for the release is
>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-falcon.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/release-0.5-rc5
>>
>> Git tags are not immutable - what is the hash for the tag?
>>
>> > More than 140 JIRAs have been closed as part of this release and the
>> release notes can be accessed from
>> http://s.apache.org/falcon-0.5-release-notes and the change logs are
>> available at http://s.apache.org/falcon-0.5-change-log
>> >
>> > The release has been signed through key(D2498DC9):
>> > http://s.apache.org/pgp-sriksun
>> >
>> > Keys to verify the signature of the release artifact are available at:
>> > http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/falcon/KEYS
>>
>> (BTW, the old release 0.3 should have been deleted by now; also 0.4
>> should be removed from the dist/ directory shortly after 0.5 is
>> released. It is important to keep the release directory tidy [1])
>>
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#when-to-archive
>>

>> > Please vote on the release. Vote will expire on Sep 18, 2014 10:00AM IST.
>>
>> Votes don't expire.
>> They have a minimum time to closure of 72 hours.
>>

> Hmmm it cant be that simple, if a vote does not expire a IPMC can vote -1
> after a month, and invalidate a release that got the needed 3 +1.

Once the vote is *closed*, further votes do not count.

Though IMO an RM would be foolish to completely ignore a valid -1 that
arrived between closing the vote and performing the release.

> While I agree with you in principle, But I also assume that a -1 must be
> given within 72hours to count.

No, it must be given before the vote is closed.

But to ensure that the -1 is counted, the voter would do well to
ensure that it is within the 72 hours.

> Do we have a slight problem with the doc ?

What doc?