Trying to build on Joes answer below....

Given that the ASF is about consensus the vote for.at should be mostly
irrelevant. Nominations should have been thoroughly discussed before the vote
is called. The vote should be a formality required by the bylaws to demonstrate
consensus.

What I mean is there should never be a veto vote cast. The PMC should have
already discussed the reasons why someone has their concerns. Those reasons
should either have been supported (and no vote called) or talked through and
withdrawn.

An example... An individual was proposed, the PMC discussed. Two people felt it
was too early because the individual had bit contributed much code, and thus
their code quality could bit be assessed.  Everyone recognized the individual
was contributing to user support, documentation, design etc. In order to have
the objections removed a PMC member offered to mentor the new committee should
code contributions prove to be problematic. This approach was agreed, the vote
was called and passed.

That individual is now a member of the foundation. Had we bot brought then in
at the earliest opportunity they may never have become so invested in the
foundation and its projects.

Sometimes it's not possible to reach unanimous consensus. In such situations
the community needs to delay the vote (they agree the concerns are appropriate)
or they use voting to break the deadlock. How the vote is conducted is covered
well by Joe.

Sent from my Windows Phone