On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> The Foundation was not set up to take on the liabilitiy associated with
> binary
> releases:
>
>     http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-3
>
>     How is that different from any of our other projects?  End users
>     don't compile Java.  Hell, most developers don't compile Java.
>     We distribute plenty of binaries.  We just don't call them SOURCE.
>     The source is what we review.  The source is what we bless.  If anyone
>     wants to go further than that, they are free to do so as long as they
>     don't call the result an Apache release.  It is a binary package, a
>     user convenience, a download hosted by openoffice.org.  I don't care.
>
>     People have to understand this.  There will always be a role for
>     downstream commercial or non-commercial redistributions of Apache
>     products.  Why?  Because the ASF is incapable of taking on the enormous
>     liability associated with released binaries that are not produced in
>     a controlled environment with a controlled set of tools.
>
> Changing policy to make binary releases official acts by the foundation
> would
> require us to account for those liability issues -- a daunting undertaking.

Fine.

But I will still perform as much diligence on those artifacts that I am
involved in as possible.  I think it is important that this be done to make
my consumers have as good a life as possible.

The final difference is that due diligence /must/ be applied to source
artifacts and /should/ be applied to binary artifacts.  The nature of the
diligence does not, however, change.