Hi,

In the vote thread about [1] a question came up about the following
clause, from our IP clearance form:

> Check and make sure that the files that have been donated have been
> updated to reflect the new ASF copyright.

I think this actually covers two distinct things:

1) Moving any existing non-Apache copyright notices to a NOTICE file,
if the owner of the donated code wants that, or otherwise removing
them or making them smaller to avoid bloating the code with multiple
copyright notices., if possible. All done by whoever donates the code
- as per the "Should a project move non-ASF copyright notices from
Apache source files to the NOTICE file?" section in [2], we don't want
to that ourselves.

2) Adding Apache copyright/license headers where required

IMO there's no need for 2) to happen before the donation, that just
has to happen before the first release of that code.

Do people agree? Shall we reformulate that requirement to better
express that it's only 1) that's relevant before accepting the donated
code?

-Bertrand

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/sling-sightly-xss.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html