I think it might help if we get a bit on the same page.  Apache doesn't
take over projects.  Apache provides a framework for people involved in a
project to create good releases and to build community.

Check out resources on the web.

I just found this, for instance, which is by an Apache member.  It provides
a reasonable outline of things.

http://www.slideshare.net/hemapani/introduction-to-open-source-apache-and-apache-way