Hi,

my two cents without knowing in detail the issue:

Could I make a clean build from a source release without that file?

Without looking to the source code, I'm pretty sure it could be replaced by
the right flags of the maven-javadoc-plugin...

Other opinions better formed than mine are welcomed to the discussion.

Cheers,