IIRC, the problem with Gerrit workflow is that actually
pushes into the repo are actually done by the bot. This
runs against ASF's desire to keep push logs that actually
make sense.

The setup that you're describing (although ASCII art
came broken via Gmail) seems to be addressing that
very problem: having a Gerrit-specific repo that a human
being then synchronizes with the ASF canonical Git
repo. This seems like a pretty reasonable way to
accomodate both constraints.

Thanks,
Roman.