> That is the question, indeed. And, please, keep in mind that the
> answer must satisfy not a humble developer with "no red tape" in mind,
> but a lawyer.

I guess there's some legal issue I'm ignorant of here then. How would
one submit a patch, without cloning from the official mirror, and
hence becoming just as aware of ASF involvement as they would
otherwise?

> Well, for starters: There's a certain degree of integration between
> Github and the ASF infrastructure. For example, I am reading about
> pull requests on ASF mailing lists. Likewise, I follow the discussion
> on the same mailing lists.
>
> Or, in other words: By reading those mailing lists, I am fully informed.

If that's an issue it's an easy one to resolve (as stated before).
Both Gerrit and Jenkins can output that type of mail without trouble.

- Ian