On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 12:19PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <c...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 09:29AM, Ted Dunning wrote:

> > rest.
> > > >

> > > I think that I am willing to say that the entirely reasonable git branch
> > > detail loss QUESTION has been answered.
> > >
> > > I don't think that recasting it as a fiction is helpful because it tends
> > > polarize the conversation by implying that the question was made up as
> > some
> > > sort of propaganda ploy that had to be defeated by righteous opponents.
> >
> > No implications of a propaganda ploy, Ted - sorry if it looked that way.
> > However, stories about how one thinks a software application should work is
> > exactly that - a fiction ;)
> >

> Cos,
>
> I am basing my questions on comments you made earlier [1].  To wit:
>
> After a quick walk through the master log I see that a bunch of the
> > questionable commits are resulted from the dev. branches histories not
> > being properly squashed before the feature is merged into the master.
>

> My reading of your meaning here is that histories are expected to be
> squashed, thus losing historical detail.

'histories are expected to be squashed' before the merge != 'existing
histories of the shared branches are expected to be squashed' I guess we fell
into the proverbial email-pit of semantical loss.

> So this isn't a fiction, nor am I uninformed about how git works. This is
> about questions that were raised based on how presumably well-informed
> insiders describe the process combined with an examination of recent JIRA's
> and the mailing list.
>
> As a side issue, I don't think that it helps to describe the other
> participants in a conversation with heavily loaded terms and phrases like
> "fiction" or "stories" or "how one thinks ... application should work".
> Please credit other people in this conversation with good intent and with
> technical competence. There are real questions being discussed here and
> distracting the conversation from the content-rich answers that can resolve
> those questions isn't helpful.

Wasn't aiming to hurt anyone, Ted - see above ;) Besides, 'fiction' isn't a
lewd word, last time I've checked.

Cheers,
  Cos