Am 06.08.2015 08:22, schrieb Niclas Hedhman:
On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

I honestly see no problem with that, again provided that the artifact can
NOT
be confused with the one coming from Apache project.

I think the "problem" lies in Trademarks. Debian's Tomcat7 is labeled
"Servlet and JSP engine" and its Tomcat8 is labeled "Apache Tomcat 8 -
Servlet and JSP engine", yet I don't see Apache Tomcat project
creating/maintaining a Debian dist.

Now, is Debian allowed to call it "Tomcat"? Is it allowed to call Tomcat8
to BE "Apache Tomcat8", when in fact(!) there are changes to the source,
such as the start script in Debian Tomcat is not original of Apache Tomcat,
but instead follows a Debian template for how those scripts should be
written. I am not sure what all the changes are, feel free to check;
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-java/tomcat8.git/tree/debian/patches

IF (like Mozilla) Apache decides to strike down on Debian and not allowing
it to use the same names, _I_ think it is a disservice to the users
(IceWeasel browser), but as it stands, Apache trademark licensing seems to
not really be followed (Perhaps Debian has some permission that was granted
long in the past... I may have missed that).

I think there is nothing in the apache license 2 forbidding the usage of the project name or even apache (version 1.1 and 1 have been different and did indeed require a permission). The trademark weapon is more one of last resort. For example to go against false releases with malicious code added and the distributor not willing to take it of the web.

At least I hope no-one has some crazy idea as that ;)

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou