On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> Bill,
> So I can release "Niclas Hadoop platform, based on Apache Hadoop" ?? I
> thought the discussion a few years ago was that this was misleading...

Things in law are rarely binary except at the edges or after an actual
court ruling.

Releasing a "Niclas George platform powered by Apache Hadoop" conforms
with our branding requirements, so would likely be OK.  The further
you go away from that, the less clear that what you are doing would be
OK.

Hadoop would be a especially problematic case for you, as "Apache
Hadoop, Hadoop, Apache, the Apache feather logo, and the Apache Hadoop
project logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of the
Apache Software Foundation in the United States and other countries. "
-- https://hadoop.apache.org/

http is a more generic term, so including variants of it in your name
(including httpd) would be less problematic than incorporating a name
like Hadoop.

- Sam Ruby