On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roman,
>
> That was a *really* long email.

Well, I do those from time to time ;-)

> 1) The concept of a brand covering some artifact doesn't come into play at
> all. Instead, there are two things that happen.  The first is that the PMC
> approves releases which defines each such release as an Apache release.
> The second process is that the ASF controls the use of its trademarks.

The question is: do we have ASF-wide trademark guidelines or do
we allow each PMC to make those as they go.

> 2) Apache Approved releases are approved collections of software.

That's way too vague for me. I'm not really sure what 'software' means.

> The PMC approves artifacts containing known as releases and validates their
> contents with signatures so that consumers can verify this. Only approved
> releases should be referred to as Apache releases, but anybody else can
> make their own releases under any level of diligence that they would like
> to apply.  This is well covered in the release policy:
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

The devil, as usual, is in the details. When I look at something like:

http://pkgs.org/centos-7/centos-x86_64/httpd-2.4.6-31.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm.html
it is very tempting to assume it was a release of ASF software.

> 3) The control of the abstract concept of the brand is done via trademarks
> which is all about how the trademarked words and logos are used and has
> nothing much to do with content of releases and everything to do with
> control and possibility of confusion.

I disagree. ASF owns the trademarks, but then it is up to the foundaiton
to define clear guidelines.

Thanks,
Roman.