> On Aug 20, 2015, at 10:23 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> Coming in late.
>>
>> A snapshot is not a release. Licenses "kick in" at distribution/
>> release.
>
> Are you sure? When you have a public source control repo, with a
> LICENSE file at the top, I would think that this counts as a legal
> 'publication' under the terms of the license.
>
> if not, just what is the legal status of source code snipped from our
> repositories?

A file that exists on a public source repo, with an associated
license is, of course, covered under that license. The issue is
what is the combined, derivative work under? I can, for example,
take a handful of ALv2 files, combine them as-is and license
the WORK as GPLv3 for example.

Furthermore, a release should have such things as a NOTICE file,
etc, as required. Again, no idea if that is included in a snap-shot
or not.

A release is such that the release artifact is verified as
compliant w/ the ALv2, and is an official action of the foundation;
A snapshot may or not be "verified" but for sure is not an
official action and the person providing the snapshot does
so at their own risk.