On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> [Failing at dealing with this cross-posted and variously-branched discussion
> on two lists,
> so I am doing it too.  Also OT with respect to Ross's declaration, but it has
> to do with the
> fact that "release" is not so well distinguished as one might hope.]
>
> Minor nit? #1:
>
> Generally, because of what is seen in the repository in terms of LICENSE and
> NOTICE placement, it appears to apply to everything at and below that point in
> the repository.  A casual observer cannot tell that there is an important
> ceremonial
> distinction with regard to using the archived packaging of an approved Apache
> Release.

I was thinking exactly that while reading the thread. Now, to be fair,
most of the
time statements made by both of these are correct. I actually haven't seen that
much licensing issues with TLP during release cycles.

> Not-so-minor nit? #2:
>
>     "Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF)
>     under one or more contributor license agreements.
>     See the NOTICE file **distributed** with this work
>     for additional information regarding copyright
>     ownership.  The ASF licenses this file to you under
>     the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the 'License')" at
>     the very top of many individual files in typical ASF
>     Project repositories.

Yup. That goes back to the clarification I've just requested
from Ross. 'cuz I agree -- I can see it being interpreted
in more than one way.

> Techno-legal nit? #3:
>
>     From <http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt>:
>
>     "You hereby grant to the Foundation and to recipients
>     of software **distributed** by the Foundation a perpetual,
>     worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free,
>     irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare
>     derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform,
>     sublicense, and distribute Your Contributions and such
>     derivative works."
>
>  ** emphasis mine in both places

Great point. I haven't connected the dots with ICLAs myself,
but it totally makes sense to talk about ICLA since it is the
document that governs the ingest point of new contributions.

> Avoiding the nit-pickers by picking more nit? #4
>
> A while back, because I was concerned that some user of a contribution of
> mine might be trapped in a hair splitting between "distribution,"
> non-distribution, and "released" I made a supplemental declaration.  I
> provided a copy to the Secretary of the Foundation on 2013-03-08.
>
> This broader statement grants to **all parties obtaining** any past or future
> ASF **contribution** of mine effectively the same copyright license granted
> under the iCLA without the condition that it be distributed by the
> Foundation.  You can see it in all of its glory at
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201303.mbox/%3c008801ce1c21$0deb3560$29c1a020$@apache.org%3e>.
>   This is not the same as an ALv2 license, but it basically gives to all of
> those parties the same terms as provided to the ASF under the iCLA
> (technically not an ALv2 license either).
>
> I have made a comparable declaration by any contribution I might make to
> LibreOffice.  I have *not* provided LibreOffice with the dual MPL-LGPL
> license declaration they tend to request. (The receipt of that declaration
> has not been acknowledged, but I stand behind it.)

Interesting! Thanks for the pointer.

Thanks,
Roman.