jan i wrote:
Your concern is valid for all countries in EU. except if a country has a
exception. the default in the IT industry is that the employer
need to allow you to do similar work off hours ...
in any case copyright belong to the company.

Wow, this is really interesting! I know this is not legal-discuss, but if you have any pointers I would really like to read them.

I don't know of any similar regulations for Italy (I work for an Italian company), but this is due to pure ignorance. All my Apache work, and a significant part of the open-source work of my colleagues, is done outside working hours, so your note is very interesting for me.

If you have any more information I'm looking forward to reading it. Otherwise, thanks a lot for an eye-opening remark because so far I had assumed that by default a contract would not interfere with off-hours activities. To be clear: my past and future contributions to Apache are not endangered in any way, but still I had never thought this could apply by default in the EU. And I'll get it checked in any case.

Regards,
  Andrea.