From: Dave Birdsall [mailto:dave.birds...@esgyn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:07 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Cc: priv...@trafodion.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Possible process improvement?

Hi,

I’m a committer/PMC member on the Trafodion podling.

One thing I’m noticing about the new committer process //
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=community.apache.org%2fnewcommitter.html%23new-committer-process&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7c66849f04a0bc4ba8b82908d2d4d31f77%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=FEDCimuYkAjQ3SRrQzHJGiaf0WGZtqDTXds0n7LNGh0%3d
 is that we sometimes get hung up on the step, “Request creation of the
committer account”.

The reason for the hang up often seems to be, the new committer has expressed a
desire for a particular apache ID, but has not specified where e-mail for that
ID should be forwarded to.

Now, the iCLA form itself asks for the preferred apache ID. But that form does
not ask about forwarding e-mail ID. Too, the receipt of the iCLA is forwarded
to the podling’s private list, but not the iCLA itself.

Also, the committer accept template makes no mention of providing a forwarding
e-mail address.

So, the mentor has to ask. And the mentor often doesn’t have an e-mail address
for the new person. So that request has to be relayed through the podling PMC
private list, and someone there who knows the individual can ask.

I can think of a couple of ways to make this more efficient.

1.       Change the iCLA to include forwarding e-mail address. And when the
iCLA is received, it is shared with the podling private list.

2.       Alternatively, change the committer accept template in //
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=community.apache.org%2fnewcommitter.html%23new-committer-process&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7c66849f04a0bc4ba8b82908d2d4d31f77%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=FEDCimuYkAjQ3SRrQzHJGiaf0WGZtqDTXds0n7LNGh0%3d
 to ask for a forwarding e-mail ID along with asking for the preferred apache
ID.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave