On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 4:45 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> First and foremost, I have not followed this thread almost at
> all. I've been at ATO2015 and then traveling.
>
> What I will say, whether it has been said or not, that
> as VP Legal, I will work w/ the Incubator on whatever issues
> or questions they may have. If it's time for a conversation
> between VP Legal and Incubator re: IP clearance, one that
> has not happened for at least a decade, iirc, then I am
> fine with that as well and am ready to do so.

With my Incubator hat on, I wouldn't mind having the Incubator's role in
non-podling IP-clearance removed -- it's a thankless burden, not a perk.
Removal would concentrate the Incubator's focus a bit more, which would be
helpful.

With my Member hat on, it would be good to explore what happens if the
Incubator's role goes away.  I'm not sure how consistently review actually
happens here, though there is clearly some.  But it's good that the people
preparing the IP Clearance documents have to post to a high-profile list like
general@incubator and run the risk of embarrassing themselves if they royally
screw it up.  Take that threat of scrutiny away and quality will drop.

Marvin Humphrey