On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 05:27PM, Vinod Vavilapalli wrote:
> Many of the active TLPs do tend to center all project discussions on JIRA as
> opposed to mailing lists. OTOH, non-code discussions are usually best served
> on mailing lists.
>
> Instead of making it a JIRA vs mailing list discussion, how about the
> podling be advised about putting a cool-off period for JIRA resolutions -
> 24-36hrs before they get closed. Again, this is something a bunch of active
> TLPs practice in the interest of leaving enough time windows for everyone
> (many times around the world in different time-zones) to pitch in.

I think these might be good development practices, but if there's an
underlying issues with off-line decision making none of these tweak will solve
it. The root issue needs to be addressed, if it indeed exists.

But even for the tweaks you've proposed: some fixes/patches are mundane and
keeping them on-hold for an arbitrary number of the hours will simply slow
down the development. Some of the new features might be as well trivial: say
adding new build target to combine certain build functions in a more
convenient way, etc. etc. So, how to line up the rules and control they
are being followed? Creation new policies even before the graduation happened
sounds completely broken to me.

What's important IMO is that committers on a project have enough sense to know
when the input from the rest of the developers is needed and when a change is
trivial enough to "just go in". That's a part of the podling maturity, as I
see it: the effectiveness of the community inner-working; the trust that your
peers are doing "the right thing".

Cos