You are quite right

Apache projects can incorporate code under suitable licenses provided that
they properly attribute it in their NOTICE and LICENSE files.  Exact
requirements will depend on the license under which the external source
code is incorporated.

For a simple case like this it would most likely just require placing some
text like the following into the LICENSE file:

---
The following code/components are under a Foo License

[Foo License text]
---

Essentially all copyright owners of the code original to the incoming
project need to provide CLAs and/or SGAs as appropriate and any external
code incorporated into the code base needs to be under Apache compatible
licenses and appropriately attributed

Rob