From: Marko Rodriguez<mailto:okramma...@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎11/‎17/‎2015 5:14 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org<mailto:general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Apache Metrics, Not Apache Humans

Hi,

I suppose the distilled intention of the proposal is to identify the answer(s)
to the following question:

        What makes a "good" open source project?

As I read on general@ and from our project's mentors, "good" is grounded in
personal experience (i.e. anecdotes). Why not use the data you gather to
quantify "good." This way its not a "well I believe," its more of "in this
particular situation given these variables, there is a X% success rate." Also,
it leads to more exploration -- "Huh, I don't think I've ever seen an Apache
project do it like that -- hell, give it a try and lets glean the stats from
it. If anything, we learn."

Personally, I'm all about: "Do whatever you want." (try it -- who cares as long
as its legal). However, if there must be structure, perhaps The Apache Way is a
local optima? Only a broad statistical landscape will tell. And only in data
gathering and analysis will that landscape be constructed from the numerous,
diverse social/technical experiments -- i.e. Apache projects!  Without the
openness and computational introspection, Apache podlings will simply
internalize the objective of "just do as expected and graduate." The problem is
that this only engrains a particular philosophy/approach that may not be fit in
the long run. It just seems (to me) that this "carrot-on-a-stick model" of
podling/top-level is outdated much like our modern education system (just take
the classes, get the grades, give the teacher an apple, and get the hell out of
here).

Again -- just shootin' ideas. I have no bee-in-the-bonet or axe-to-grind. I've
just become interested in how your minds tick...

Take care,
Marko.

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3a%2f%2fmarkorodriguez.com&data=01%7c01%7cRoss.Gardler%40microsoft.com%7cb67cecadf1a1471c1f6008d2efb58e68%7c72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7c1&sdata=wor4U8Yvu1ZkTLU4b5BwrCyQy6SfMxdQ018eOQJCy%2bM%3d