On Wednesday 18 November 2015, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Le 18/11/15 11:31, Stephen Connolly a écrit :
> > I believe the issue here is that with CTR it is very easy to miss the 72h
> > lazy consensus voting (with an assumed +1 absence any votes cast) that
> most
> > CTR projects operate under... and thus it can also be very easy to miss
> the
> > fact that there are reviews going on (and I am being generous here, I
> > suspect that a lot of CTR commits are only reviewed within the 72h by a
> > blind man on a galloping horse)
>
> I'm not sure why you are correlating commit reviews and a 72h vote...
> They are two really different things.

When I last read up my understanding is that CTR operates as if there is a
vote for each commit. It's a really lazy vote though as the vote passes if
nobody comments on the commit after 72h... And personally I do not see much
value in post-hoc votes... What are we going to do, rewrite history? But as
I understand the "vote" is so that the code in source control can be
covered by the legal umbrella despite it being outside of a formal source
release.

> > If the PMC is doing its duty, then when release time comes around, if
> they
> > have not been tracking the commits, then they should not be providing a
> > binding +1 for the release until they have reviewed the commit delta from
> > the last release *at least from the point of view of ASL compliance*.
> No. There is nothing that says such a thing.

>  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
All the source code of the project must be covered by the Apache License,
version 2.0. The license must be included in each source file. For the
license to be valid, the code must have been contributed by an individual
covered by an appropriate contributor license agreement, or have otherwise
been licensed to the Foundation and passed through IP clearance. S

Now I will agree that the above is not a very high bar:

1. Check all commits are authored by a committer (as committer has an ICLA)
2. For commits authored by non committers (git makes these easier to find)
check that the author provides clear intent to submit the code to the ASF
(a patch submitted to JIRA/project mailing list or a PR against Apache
GitHub repo seems clear intent) and that the patch is not "too big" (a
somewhat nebulous concept but as all the ones I have had to check were
under the 50-60 LOC metric I haven't had to probe that concept too hard)
3. If all else fails as the author to sign an ICLA

It would be very good if
> every PMC member casting a vote were reviewing all the commits since the
> last release, but this is unlikely to happen, and it's not even
> required.

> This is correct, as long as I review as we go for the above
(minimal) provenance checks then I am good to go and provide 1/3rd of the
legal umbrella.

And unless you point us to the so called ASL compliance, I
> think this is your own interpretation of the PMC member that you are
> pulling here.

See the link. It's not a strenuous compliance check like the paper exercise
that the interrupted view of planetary objects foundation performs... Thank
goodness do that... But it is a requirement of you read up on the PMC roles.