I agree that this is something the Impala community will want to discuss
fairly early on in incubation - along with a lot of other project
procedural stuff as we adjust or rethink our workflows to be Apache-Way
compatible.

Until we have that discussion, I'd expect Impala will continue along RTC
lines simply because this is what the existing community is used to (and I
believe, prefers), and the workflows are well established and work
smoothly.

That is, I personally am ok with no explicit commit protocol, but in
practice it is likely to appear as if there is no change, until the
community discussion about policies happens during incubation.