I have to point out that all of this is exactly why the project moved to the
incubator from the logging project.  While all the logging projects are
obviously related by what they do, the language and implementation differences
make it difficult for committers to cross over from one project to the other so
it was hoped going to incubator would signal people interested in the project
to get involved.

Having said that, Log4j 1.x has barely had any life for years, was recently
marked as end-of-life and still has a huge number of users using it  and
periodically asking for fixes that will never happen. It is still the most used
logging framework. While Log4j 2 is in much better shape, we too have a hard
time attracting committers. We get lots of people submitting one time patches
but very few stick around.

I don’t know if it is just because working on logging isn’t as sexy as working
on a NoSQL thingy or what, but all the logging projects have trouble attracting
new committers, even though they still seem to be quite popular and people
still seem to expect them to magically have new releases.

Ralph