On 13 March 2016 at 01:25, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 3:11 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7 March 2016 at 01:46, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>>> To close a loop on this: based on the consensus I created a public
>>> version of the tools under:
>>>     http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/comdev/tools/licensing/
>>>
>>> My attempts of preserving the history weren't successfully since
>>> private and public are two different SVN repos (you can't just svn cp/mv).
>>> I don't think this is that big of a deal, but please let me know if it is.
>>
>> In such cases it would be helpful to document the original source in
>> the commit log message.
>
> Great point sebb! Thanks! It also made me realize that if I remove the
> source from the original location I'd have to reference the SVN rev,
> rather than source location for anybody interested in tracking history.

Good point; that is what SVN does for a copy/move.
It includes the source rev and the source path; both are needed to
retrieve the original source.

> Will the work?

The only problem I can see is that SVN does not keep a history of
commit messages; once overwritten, they are gone forever.
They should be in the relevant mail archive, but that's not
guaranteed, and it's not particularly easy to find the info.

This is not a problem for moves within a repo, because svn log will
show the file details even if the commit message is changed.

So for this case it would be sensible to also record the original
source in a text file that is stored in SVN.
For example, the README.txt that already exists.
You've already indicated that you will update the old location to
point to the new one; this is the inverse.