That is a good plan to understand the code hand over. I mentioned this in
another reply, but if this presents and issue I am more than happy to do a
clean room implementation. There are a few reasons for this:

Firstly, we want to make a spec so that other implementations in other
languages can be build this might be easier if we truly start from a spec,
instead of reverse engineering a spec from the existing code. Secondly,
even though the code is already present, I suspect that as we implement
things on the road map the code base will change fairly drastically and
little of the original code will be in places after 2-3 releases.

To recap: If importing the current code is an issue, we can adjust the
proposal to do a clean room implementation. It adds complexity but not
anything insurmountable.

Thanks,
Edward