On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:00:34 -0700, Ted Dunning wrote:
On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 4:29 AM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
wrote:

I'm asking, again, whether I need to initiate a VOTE that would allow me to set up a workspace ("git", etc.) and transfer some code from CM over
there.

Nothing is stopping you from setting something up. Github is usually the
easiest way.

It doesn't sound like that is what you want, however. I don't understand
why not.

And I don't understand that Apache would indeed prefer that code be forked
rather than evolved here...

It may be that incubation is a good thing for Commons Math, but it doesn't
seem valid to say that incubation is necessary because CM is being kicked
out of Commons.

Never said so.

Hmm... I must have misunderstood the comment about CM not being interested
in hosting "these components".

Commons is NOT interested in hosting the new components.
That much was made clear in Matt Benson's last post. [Maybe not cross-posted
to the incubator's ML.]

There is a confusion here: *I* say that CM is dead.

Strong words. Such statements are often frustrating to others.

Not strong, just factual.

Maybe it will be revived in the future.
Until then, I proposed to *do* something while the others seem to only
want to wait.
Strange that the latter proposal seems more acceptable than mine.

It does
sound like the community has dwindled, perhaps beyond repair.

It sure sounds like it.
In fewer words: CM is dead.

The development situation *will* change because the context *has* changed
(unsupported code). CM cannot go on as it did before the fork.

You can never go home. No project stays the same.

Well, some people in CM for years did their best to avoid change.
I didn't like that view and argue with them because they were
important contributors to CM.

I still have to argue, but now with non-contributors.
*This* makes no sense.

Everybody (developers, users, Commons PMC) would be better off with a selected set of new (supported) components because this is something we
can easily do *now* (RERO, etc.).

This was your assertion in the long email thread. It seemed that there was
significant counter-positions.

By non-contributors, using arguments that do not fit the CM history.

I'm OK to go through the incubator to do that; but I don't see that it is an easier path. Surely it looks longer. And it seems that even the
incubator people doubt that it will lead anywhere.

The incubator is for building community and adapting to Apache. If you don't have a seed community, then incubator is the wrong place. You need to
have more than just you.

That's fair, but there are a few others; that was mentioned.

Given the uncertain outcome, going through the incubator would be an
attempt at rethinking the development of the currently unsupported
code.  See e.g.
[Or is that out of scope for an incubation proposal?]

Incubator is not a place to rethink code. It is primarily for building
community.

I thought so.
So, that leaves us with TLP.  Back to square one.

Gilles

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>