On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM, John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 3:19 PM Greg Chase <g...@gregchase.com> wrote:

> > Spirits can be hard to grasp.  As I suggested before.  If being
> > prescriptive is too difficult, then force new podlings into a
> standardized
> > web template that meets requirements, and spirt.  This would actually
> > really simplify the getting started process for new podlings.  Then they
> > can either do something new with their website once they become a TLP, or
> > perhaps at some mid-level of maturity.
> >

> This is where I begin to disagree.  We don't want podlings to just use
> cookie cutter websites, at least I don't believe we do.  I know I just want
> to see podlings use our guidelines as a bare minimum set of requirements
> for all of their branding.  This includes websites, docs, and releases.
> The point of the disclaimer is that there may be licensing issues within
> the release contents and as a result may not be 100% Apache License
> compliant.

There must be some middle ground between the extremes.

Cookie-cutter websites would be horrible, but there must be something
non-spiritual that podlings can reliably adhere to. If the documentation
states that podlings must do X, but they are actively frowned upon unless
they do X+1, we're heading into "pieces of flair" territory [1].

[1] https://vimeo.com/102830089