Thank you for trying out, Joe!

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 4:22 AM, Joe Witt <joe.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 (bindng).
>
> Conducted a review focused largely on mechanics of the source release
> and licensing.  Findings as follows:
>
> good
> - hashes check out
> - signature checks out
> - source release license/notice/3party license references look great!
> nicely done
> - full clean build w/out tests + apache-rat:check passes.  As a
> caution might want to reconsider how broad rat exclusions are for
> things like txt/json files.  Can be easy to miss things which should
> have headers.
>
> things to address in upcoming release
> - full clean build w/tests results in tests failures (already
> identified).  Recommend getting all tests passing on supported
> platforms.  I was on Java8/OSX which seems to be supported.

As mentioned in the response to Alan's mail - we will address this in
the next release. There maybe Java 8 specific issues that need fixing.

> - checkstyle results reveal that style checks are quite optional.
> Recommend getting to a good stable state with checkstyle so others can
> help keep good hygiene going forward.

+1, we had tried to move to this in the past and some modules have
this enabled, but a majority don't. We understand that delaying it can
only make things worse. Hope we can address this in next release.

> - following the build instructions on the wiki i was unable to create
> the convenience binary tar.gz.  Perhaps the instructions need
> updating.  Ideally the readme of the source release would describe the
> current build process as well.  My interest there was to look through
> any resulting convenience binaries to help with licensing/notice
> considerations there too.

+1 about updating the readme. Will file a JIRA to address this for
next release. I am surprised though that the instructions in the wiki
(http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/InstallationSteps.html) did not
result in a binary tar.gz. It does work on JDK7. Again, unsure if its
a JDK8 issue. We will check this up.