Hi Jake,yes, I'm aware of it. I have done an Integration of HTrace with some
proprietary tracing framework. There are some fundamental aspect of the tracing
model in HTrace (as well as the OpenTrace API) which I find limiting.

Thanks,                   Roberto

      From: Jake Farrell <jfarr...@apache.org>
 To: "general@incubator.apache.org" <general@incubator.apache.org>; Roberto
Attias <roberto_att...@yahoo.com>
Cc: John D. Ament <johndam...@apache.org>
 Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:44 AM
 Subject: Re: finding a Champion

Hey RobertoHave you looked into Apache HTrace (incubating)?
-Jake

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Roberto Attias
<roberto_att...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

Hi John,thanks for your reply. Here is a brief description of the project and
its current state.

Project Description
The project consists of a framework for concurrent and distributed tracing.
I've been working on tracing at CISCO and Facebook for the last few years, and
am now in the process of moving somewhere else, hence I'm interested in
consolidating the experience I've accumulated into a new, open source framework
with clean room implementation.

The framework comprises of:
   - a producer API to instrument distributed system with, with support for all
major programming languages. The API allows for pluggable sinks to target
generation of traces in local files, integration with Kafka, or other event
buses.in case of use of an event bus, a distributed service that consumes from
it and stores in a persistent storage. The service will provide support for
event storage, integrating with various storage, including Apache HBase

   - A distributed service for batch trace analysis. This service continuously
runs analysis script on traces flowing through the event bus. scripts can be
dynamically added by users.
   - A set of trace visualization tools.

One of the goals for this framework is the ability to scale from single-host
applications, where it would not require running any server, to large scale
distributed environment where it would allow running a fault-tolerant set of
services.
Process State
The framework is in its early stage of development, but one element exist that
will serve as bases for one the visualization tools. MSCViewer is and open
source, trace visualization and analysis tool on Github. The tool is currently
in use inside CiSCO. See https://github.com/rattias/ mscviewer, and it's
manual: https://github.com/rattias/ mscviewer/blob/master/doc/
manual/mscviewer.pdf

What I'm looking for
At this stage I'm looking for mainly for feedback on whether a project in this
early stage can or should be an Apache Incubation Project, and if so how to
find a champion for it. If projects have to be more mature to enter the
incubation stage I'll keep working on it and come back later.
Thanks,                    Roberto