On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> I see that this is a proposal that originates, basically from IBM.

IBM + Adobe

> I have an issue, based on past history, related to IBM's continued
> efforts and dedication on ASF projects. I will not mention specific
> projects, but the ASF has a number of projects which died (or
> almost died and only were revived via super-human effort) when
> IBM decided to switch gears and no longer support the project.
>
> Now most of all this was our fault: the whole intent of Incubation
> and the Apache Way is to prevent dependence on a single person
> or entity: diversity means being able to continue, in a healthy
> way, should someone (or some-thing) decide that the project is
> no longer for them.
>
> Considering all this, I would hope and expect that this podling
> take extra steps to ensure that we don't get "burned" again...

+1

I see this as an issue to be resolved prior to exiting incubation, not
something that should impact being accepted for incubation.

> PS: Nothing against IBM of course: being a business, their strategy
>     is wont to change, and we cannot (and should not) "fault" them
>     when such a strategy change adversely affects a project. My
>     only point is that, based on past experience, we should simply
>     recognize that IBM dropping their support/resources on this
>     project at some point is a very real, statistical possibility,
>     and be serious in our efforts in ensuring this podling/project
>     can and will survive that.

Agreed on both points: this is a general concern that should apply
everywhere, and given IBM's past history is particularly relevant to
this proposal.

- Sam Ruby