On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> I've observed this project since it joined the incubator and they've worked
>> hard to create an open and welcoming community and to fix all the issues
>> raised that could be barriers to their graduation.
>>
>> In terms of percentages, these things have been debated previously in
>> graduation of projects such as Ignite, Flume, Tez etc and I'm not going to
>> repeat the arguments from those discussions. Geode would be better with
>> served with a wider community, but I think what matters is 1) have they
>> demonstrated the behaviors we expect and 2) are they moving in the right
>> direction. Geode is a great community and a pleasure to be involved with
>> and I would say yes to both of these. I believe they are going in the right
>> direction to make this project less dependent on one company and except to
>> change the percentages you've pointed out, theres no purpose left for them
>> being in the incubator. They've shown that they can manage themselves and
>> theres enough independent oversight to mitigate concerns which is why I
>> think we should vote for them to graduate.
>
> Given the discussions around single-vendor projects that are raging on
> board@ I would have to agree with Daniel's concerns here. Projects that
> are heavily dominated by a single vendor/company/organization
> historically cause problems over time.

I think that other discussion addresses a very different set of problems.

> Is there a huge rush to get this project graduated?

I'd rather flip your argument around and say: at this point sitting in the
Incubator adds no value to the project nor does it teach anything
new or useful to its PPMC or a community at large.

> Surely we serve the
> Foundation, and this project, better, by ensuring that this problem
> (and, yes, it's a problem) is addressed before we grant them TLP status?

I disagree. The Incubator is a place to make sure that the community
(regardless of its composition) truly understands and practices the
"Apache Way". As has been suggested on this thread by a number of
votes from project's mentors and IPMC members embedded in the
Geode community that mission has been accomplished.

I see no reason to hold the project hostage over the diversity requirement
simply because it is pointless for IPMC, project and the foundation.

> I'm personally less concerned with the sustainability of the project
> should the company opt out of working on the project, and more concerned
> with the kind of monoculture "we own it" problems that we're starting to
> see crop up in other projects that were allowed to graduate without
> building the community first.

Then you really should be voting "yes" on this thread. There's a good number
of us on IPMC who believe that "we own it" is really not a problem with this
community.

Thanks,
Roman.