Legally the ASF could register the trademarks for podlings, once we have
the source code in our repo, but as a public charity it's not
appropriate for us to do so given the cost and fact that a podling may
fail to graduate[1].

Some podlings coming from companies have existing registrations, which
the donor must formally transfer to the ASF before graduation; we will
then maintain the registrations ourselves for that TLP.

Trademark rights in the US and some countries come from use in commerce:
publicly using the name or logo in association with software for
download means you can use ™ on the trademark and claim it.  Registering
gives you other abilities, but is not required.

We have a comprehensive list of trademark resources, many of which are
useful for any FOSS project:

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

In particular see "How To: Request Registration of Your Project Name".

- Shane

[1] This is an issue of both cost and trademark ownership.  Registered
trademarks are legal assets; as a US non-profit 501C3 organization we
can't really give assets like that away except to another 501C3 in most
cases.  For unregistered trademarks it doesn't much matter; if a podling
fails to graduate we don't keep any claim over the trademark.