Responding to a few points in the thread:

> Jitendra, So considering how strong of a community this is already and the
> success of recent TLP direct projects, what goals do you have for
> incubation?  And why incubation over straight to TLP?

As hinted by a few others, I would like to see the project's time in the
Incubator focus on establishing a repeatable release process (always tricky
the first few times for a podling), providing sufficient documentation for
usage and contributor onboarding, and establishing community interaction on
the mailing lists.  From my knowledge of straight-to-TLP projects, I
believe those spun out of "refactoring" pieces of well-established projects
into new TLPs, so the spin-offs to some degree were able to inherit these
pieces from being previously hosted in the larger project.  In this case, I
prefer incubation, because Concur is not a spin-off and therefore still
needs to establish these pieces for itself.

> I think it sounds like an interesting proposal but wonders which
> consumers (and potential developers) it is targeting - I wonder about
> the strong link to Hortonworks and Hadoop -- is Concur relying on
> Hadoop, Hadoop might use Concur, or can Concur be used with many
> things, including Hadoop?

Our goal is to provide a stand-alone library providing a RAFT
implementation.  Although Apache Hadoop ecosystem projects are mentioned as
one of the primary targeted use cases, we do not intend to constrain it to
usage only within the Hadoop ecosystem or tightly couple it to any
particular vendor's distribution of the Hadoop ecosystem.  I could imagine
it being viable for usage within pieces of Hadoop or in a proprietary
distributed system that I work on at my day job.

It is true that the Concur codebase currently has a Maven dependency on
Hadoop.  This was largely a matter of coding convenience to pick up helpful
utilities for configuration management and networking.  For those
knowledgeable of Hadoop, I have listed all "org.apache.hadoop" imports
below.  You'll see that this is not tightly coupled to deep pieces of HDFS,
YARN, etc., but instead more like helpful utilities.  Whether or not the
Hadoop dependency is desirable long-term toward the goal of "stand-alone
library" is a question worthy of consideration for the Concur community,
though I see that as a technical decision point for the community, not a
factor for consideration of whether to accept the incubation proposal.

org.apache.hadoop.classification.InterfaceAudience;
org.apache.hadoop.classification.InterfaceStability;
org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration;
org.apache.hadoop.fs.ChecksumException;
org.apache.hadoop.fs.CommonConfigurationKeysPublic.IPC_CLIENT_CONNECT_MAX_RETRIES_KEY;
org.apache.hadoop.fs.CommonConfigurationKeysPublic.IPC_CLIENT_CONNECT_TIMEOUT_KEY;
org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil;
org.apache.hadoop.io.DataOutputOutputStream;
org.apache.hadoop.io.IOUtils;
org.apache.hadoop.io.MD5Hash;
org.apache.hadoop.io.Writable;
org.apache.hadoop.io.nativeio.NativeIO;
org.apache.hadoop.io.nativeio.NativeIOException;
org.apache.hadoop.io.retry.RetryPolicy;
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Client.ConnectionId;
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtobufRpcEngineShaded;
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.ProtocolInfo;
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC.RpcInvoker;
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC;
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException;
org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils;
org.apache.hadoop.security.KerberosInfo;
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation;
org.apache.hadoop.security.token.SecretManager;
org.apache.hadoop.security.token.TokenIdentifier;
org.apache.hadoop.test.GenericTestUtils;
org.apache.hadoop.util.Daemon;
org.apache.hadoop.util.DataChecksum;
org.apache.hadoop.util.ExitUtil;
org.apache.hadoop.util.ProtoUtil;
org.apache.hadoop.util.StringInterner;
org.apache.hadoop.util.StringUtils;
org.apache.hadoop.util.Time;
org.apache.raft.shaded.org.apache.hadoop.ipc.protobuf.ProtobufRpcEngineProtos.RequestHeaderProto;
org.apache.raft.shaded.org.apache.hadoop.ipc.protobuf.RpcHeaderProtos.RpcRequestHeaderProto;
org.apache.raft.shaded.org.apache.hadoop.ipc.protobuf.RpcHeaderProtos.RpcResponseHeaderProto;

--
Chris Nauroth