> When you say "it denotes a lack of maturity which is exactly the purpose
> AFAIK", what do you mean my maturity?
> Maturity in terms of how well it follows Apache processes and principles?
> Or in terms of "the project is not ready for prime time"?
>
> For example, for Apache Groovy, the project was very mature, and was
> already 11 years old when it joined the ASF.
> It was very stable, very mature, very solid.
> And it was a bit weird to append "-incubating", as people thought it meant
> "not ready for prime time" rather that "going through ASF incubation".
> Furthermore it forced users to also change the appId although they usually
> change only the version number, which might be in some property file
> externally. It's not such a big big deal, but it's still something they had
> to do, which is a bit unconvenient.

And that is exactly this. Don't get me wrong, I'm part of several
incubating projects and I don't like to have -incubating cause it looks not
mature where sometimes code is very robust...but the project is immature -
otherwise it wouldn't be in incubator. Even for groovy, there were few
chances but still some, it doesn't match ASF and it could have moved
somewhere else which is a stability issue which is important to show in the
published artifacts.

Not sure I get the appId since most incubator projects don't reflect the
state in the groupId but only the version for this exact reason (make user
upgrade from incubator to TLP just a version to change and not all
coordinates - which makes the classifier as bad as the groupId and version
a good compromise).