All,
the Board approved Apache Zest (now Polygene) to go straight to TLP about 2
years ago. Part of the decision was the question; "What benefit will
incubation have for the community?", and since we had exclusively Apache
members on the initial project, operated with an ASF mindset before coming
to ASF, we had no good answer for that particular question. Follow up on
that was to have a "provisional TLP" (proposed by Greg Stein, I think), a
self-inflected restriction, and the Board asked "What benefit for the
project does that bring?".

I think more projects have done this since then, but not sure...

So, end of the day; Place a Resolution in front of the Board, accompanied
(a priori) with motivation why incubation is not beneficial to the
community, and you have a good shot at go straight to TLP.

HTH
Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer