On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <j...@nanthrax.net>
> wrote:
>> ...To prepare this discussion, I prepared a self-assessment against the
>> Maturity Model:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=68714623
>
> Thanks! This helps build confidence about graduating CarbonData, I'm
> +1 for that.

+1

On https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-287 I wrote the following,
which sounds harsh and may have resulted in a miscommunication:

  The Incubator itself does not require that podlings assess progress using
  the Maturity Model. If there are podlings or Mentors who need to be
  disabused of such a notion, that education work needs to happen in the
  Incubator's own forums.

It's only a problem when a podling treats the Maturity Model and its soft
criteria as hard requirements and lets progress be blocked.  That's a
misapplication of the Maturity Model itself (and arguably shows that the
project is not mature).  Mature contributors understand how to avoid getting
hung up unnecessarily.

Actually, the Maturity Model can be a very nice framework to organize
incubation around.  (Moreso than, say, an enumeration of our policies, which
would overemphasize rules.)  The Incubator might not formally integrate the
Maturity Model today, but perhaps that could change.

Marvin Humphrey