On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org> wrote:

> does anyone have any information on policy/process for uploading npm
> modules to global registry https://registry.npmjs.org/

With regards to publication of packages, npm is just another downstream
distribution channel -- like Maven Central, Docker Hub, PyPI, CPAN, Debian,
crates.io, etc.

The main policy point that comes up is this one:

    http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy#publication

    Projects SHALL publish official releases and SHALL NOT publish unreleased
    materials outside the development community.

The second policy point that comes up frequently has to do with trademarks: we
expect that anything published as "Apache Foo" will actually be "Apache Foo",
and not, say, a vendor-specific "sneak peek" version incorporating
controversial new features.

It can also be important that multiple PMC members have upload permissions
for a given distribution channel.  That's a best practice, not a policy,
though.

But these points apply across all downstream distribution channels, not
just npm.

> This is for convenience and should be similar to publishing to Maven
> Central, but I would like to know if there is anything explicit about it.

Infra provides some extra support for certain kinds of distribution (we run
repository.apache.org, we used to run a PEAR repo, etc).  I don't know of
any special technical support related to npm, though.

Marvin Humphrey