my first impression when i first saw this 25 years ago when we stuffed network
analytics into a MIB was that

as long as you have SNMP protocol stack and RIPv2 enabled gateway you could
pass traffic info from Network device to NetworkDevice.

Cisco is probably the only company that picked up the ball on this concept with
its own protocol IGMP

consequently I havent heard about network analytics as NA r&d disappeared into
Cisco private domain

Given the fact that entire countries have gone dark because of what we called
"network storm" now called Denial of Service does it not make sense to revive
the concept of network-aware imps if for no other reason than to route traffic
away from busy networks or networks burdened by DOS attack vectors.?

maybe this is pipe dream but if we can somehow config network devices to become
self-aware and intelligently

route traffic away from heavily trafficked nodes and networks.. I could easily
see these algorithms implemented by network intensive apps such as zookeeper
and zookeeper under kafka

Salutations to all (including dogs)

WDYT?

Martin