On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Abhishek Tiwari <a...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In regards to the recently incubated project - Gobblin, we were wondering
> about the policy around renaming Java package names to org.apache.* Is it a
> mandatory requirement or good to have?
>
> The reason to ask this is that while we see many projects have migrated to
> use org.apache.* package name for their Java source files, the Kafka
> project uses kafka.* for Scala sources and org.apache.kafka.* for Java
> sources.
>
> Please let us know as soon as possible, because we are in process of
> renaming the  packages but if not mandatory we would want to keep gobblin.*
> package name and avoid the cost of downstream migrations and backwards
> incompatibility.

You don't have to do it right away, but it is a requirement unless you
have a really,
really, really good reason of why you can't do that.

Or to put it a different way: during your eventual graduation this
question will be
asked and you better have a really, really good explanation if you're
still using
something other than o.a.

Thanks,
Roman.