John:

To RUN Rat this is how we do it:

Downloading the SPOT Code:
wget https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/spot/1.0-
incubating/apache-spot-1.0-incubating.tar.gz
Uncompress the code:
tar -zxvf apache-spot-1.0-incubating.tar.gz

Download RAT:
wget http://apache.claz.org//creadur/apache-rat-0.12/
apache-rat-0.12-bin.tar.gz
Uncompress the code:
tar -zxvf apache-rat-0.12-bin.tar.gz
cd apache-rat-0.12
Now lets create the file to exclude the known extensions and files:
vi or nano .rat-excludes

Add the following exclude list:

.*md
.*txt
.gitignore
.gitmodules
.*png
.*json
.*csv
.*less
.*ipynb
.babelrc
topojson.min.js

Save the File.

Run the rat tool as following.
java -jar apache-rat-0.12.jar -E /path/to/project/.rat-excludes -d
/path/to/project/ > to_output_file.txt

If you have rat in the same directory as the SPOT Code you can verify as:
java -jar apache-rat-0.12.jar -E .rat-excludes -d
../apache-spot-1.0-incubating > apache-spot-1.0-incubating-rat-results.txt

You will see the rat results in the generated output file:
apache-spot-1.0-incubating-rat-results.txt

An the code just needs to be installed, uncompress the tarball and install
each component using the install guide: http://spot.incubator.
apache.org/doc/

However for version 1.0 that we are looking approval we have the changes
that will be uploaded once we have the votes here: http://nolamarketing.
com/client/apache-spot/doc/

Any question please let me know!

Best Regards!