On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 12:20 AM, Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I wonder where exactly (most) of these files come from.
>
> Sorry, many apologies, and my mistake as I looked at your last release by
> accident. Changing my vote to +0 (binding).
>
> I can still see the md5 hashes in the office release area [1] these should
> be removed (but that’s a minor issue).
>
> Re unexpected binary files it’s not open source if it contains
> unmodifiable code, that’s usually a class file in a jar file but that could
> also include things like obfuscated code or even minified JS.
>
> This RC1 for instance contains this jar [2] but as it contains no code
> that’s fine. But the _java.main.i in [3] is in a binary format and doesn’t
> seem to be compressed file.

I think one could argue it is a compressed file[1], one just needs a
special tool to get the uncompressed version (as one needs to get data out
of the .zip or .tar.gz file):
$ unzip incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-rc1-source.zip
mercurial/test/qa-functional/data/JavaApp_repo.zip
Archive:  incubating-netbeans-java-9.0-rc1-source.zip
  inflating: mercurial/test/qa-functional/data/JavaApp_repo.zip

$ cd mercurial/test/qa-functional/data/

$ unzip JavaApp_repo.zip
Archive:  JavaApp_repo.zip
   creating: .hg/
   creating: .hg/store/
   creating: .hg/store/data/
 extracting: .hg/store/data/build.xml.i
  inflating: .hg/store/data/manifest.mf.i
   creating: .hg/store/data/nbproject/
 extracting: .hg/store/data/nbproject/build-impl.xml.i
  inflating: .hg/store/data/nbproject/genfiles.properties.i
 extracting: .hg/store/data/nbproject/project.properties.i
  inflating: .hg/store/data/nbproject/project.xml.i
   creating: .hg/store/data/src/
   creating: .hg/store/data/src/javaapp/
  inflating: .hg/store/data/src/javaapp/_main.java.i
  inflating: .hg/store/00manifest.i
  inflating: .hg/store/00changelog.i
  inflating: .hg/store/undo
 extracting: .hg/requires
  inflating: .hg/00changelog.i
  inflating: .hg/dirstate
  inflating: .hg/undo.dirstate
 extracting: .hgignore

$ hg log
changeset:   0:8df7d6dbbdba
tag:         tip
user:        Padraig OBriain <padraig.obri...@sun.com>
date:        Tue Jul 17 14:13:47 2007 +0100
summary:     Initial commit

$ hg cat -r 0 src/javaapp/Main.java
/*
 * Main.java
 *
 * Created on Jul 17, 2007, 2:13:19 PM
 *
 * To change this template, choose Tools | Templates
 * and open the template in the editor.
 */

package javaapp;

/**
 *
 * @author padraigo
 */
public class Main {

    /**
     */
        // TODO code application logic here
    }

}

(here I'd argue this file has no degree of creativity: this is simply the
new file template at that time with file name, date and author filled
automatically by the IDE.)

[1] or, more in generally multiple compressed files, as this can hold
multiple revisions of the file, although there is only one revision in this
repo.

Jan