> Generally Apache has no rules against multiple projects fulfilling similar
> goals or use cases, even when those projects might compete. However I think
> it would be relatively unusual to incubate a project that appears to be
> derived from a fork of an existing project, at least without first
> considering whether the additional feature set could be contributed back to
> the existing community.

And this is something I'm really excited about. If only the storage system
part of Palo were contributed to the ASF, and simultaneously the Palo
community and the Impala community worked together to integrate the query
engine work of Palo into Impala, then this could provide a lot of benefit
to users, I think. My hope is that it would eliminate the toil the Palo
community is engaged in by rebasing Impala changes (as Tim noticed).
Impala, meanwhile, might benefit from some changes Palo has made, like SIMD
filtering.

This could be a lot of work, but the current system seems to already
include quite a lot of inefficiency from the duplication.