Hi,

> There is a lot of confusion if the approval should be censuses or majority
> for adding or removing people in the various projects guidelines/bylaws.
> Consensus seem more common so I went with that - that may be wrong.

Our docs are not clear on this either [1] states that consensus voting in only
for code changes (unless stated otherwise) but the page makes no mention of
what type of voting should be used for adding (or removing) committers or PMC
members. However here [2] it seems that consensus voting is the norm. Other
links also imply consensus voting, such as [3], but could be just confusing
consensus with “consensus voting”. This page [4] mentions voting a lot but also
neglects to say if it should be consensus or majority. Even projects like HTTP
use the term consensus when talking about voting in PMC members and unanimous
vote (an extreme form of consensus) when removing them [5].

No wonder people don’t actually know.

Practically it may not actually matter which is selected as a -1 usually come
with a good reason and the out come will be the same, but it would be nice to
know and have it applied consistently in our documentation.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
2. https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#decision-making