Hi,

Over the last few months I’ve run into 1/2 dozen podlings who are making and
promoting releases to the wider community that contain unreleased code, and I’m
a little surprised that they were unaware that this is not allowed. This also
has come up in feedback received from the exit questionnaire.

In the release policy [3] it clearly states:
"Projects MUST direct outsiders towards official releases rather than raw
source repositories, nightly builds, snapshots, release candidates, or any
other similar packages.”

This has been discussed many times but these two legal JIRAs [1][2] spell it
out quite clearly. And while these tickets refer to docker the same applies to
any distribution mechanism.

In short “It is appropriate to distribute official releases through downstream
channels, but inappropriate to distribute unreleased materials through them.”

So if your projects is using docker, PiPY, GitHub releases, npm or any other
ways of distribution please make sure that the wider community is only pointed
at official release and the best way to do this is not to publish unreleased
code on those platforms. Ask yourself is someone outside of the project likely
to use this and if the answer is yes then reconsider how you are using that
distribution channel and make sure it only contains official releases.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270
2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-427